The first iconic flavor of Autumn, until pumpkin spice came to town. But we want to bring back the apple. Because it’s not just for pies, although it does make one heck of a dessert. With thousands of varieties to choose from, you are sure to find the right one. And if you don’t want to find a local orchard and pick your own, you can usually find about 10 different options at your local grocery market. They look great, taste great, and pack quite a nutritional punch with vitamins A and C and antioxidants. Weather you eat ‘em or drink ‘em, you know the old saying. “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
Looking for a new way to mix apples into the menu? Try some of these ideas!
- Grated or julienned apples in a classic slaw
- Diced with black beans, avocado, jalapenos and lime juice salad
- Cored and sliced, roasted with pork tenderloin, onions and rosemary
- Swap out the beer or red wine in your Sunday beef roast for Apple Cider or Applejack
- Add diced apples the last 5-10 minutes when roasting Brussel’s Sprouts
- Add grated apples to braised red cabbage or homemade sauerkraut
- Instead of raisins, add small diced apple on peanut butter and celery boats for a tasty and fun snack
- Thinly slice apples and fennel bulb for a vibrant and light salad
- Add apples to your butternut squash soup recipe
- Dice an apple and add it to your oatmeal for a hearty and warming breakfast
- Add small diced apples, or applesauce, to pancakes and crepes
- Add sliced apples to the bottom of a pumpkin pie. Best of both worlds!
Peruse the blog and find more recipes and fun ways to use great ingredients! Check out our website to learn more about weekly meal prep.